Today, only one home remains of those properties that used to occupy the east side of the 800 block of North Center Street--but not where it originally stood. Gone is the first Nevada Historical Society, a small brick building that owed its existence to Jeanne Wier, who ran the organization for 46 years without pay. Wier also lived on this side of North Center Street, as did well-known advertising man, Thomas Cave Wilson, as a young boy.
The large Dutch Colonial house near the end of the block endured for many years as a student rental property. The Robert C. Riegg family first owned the home, which was built around 1907; a smaller house circa 1906 occupied the rear of the lot which Riegg used as a foundry, once the larger home was built. Riegg had emigrated from Germany and was a railway postal clerk. Inspired by his profession, Riegg invented and received a patent for a combination mailing cabinet for letters and papers. Following Riegg, James Green of Green Painting Company occupied the home with his family.
The Colonial Revival style of architecture enjoyed a nostalgic rebirth in the 20th century. The Dutch Colonial style is a subtype of the Colonial Revival, characterized by a broad gambrel roof, resembling a barn. This home is a lovely example of this style, of which there are few in Reno. This home also has beautiful, oversized pocket doors. It served as an interesting contrast to the row of Queen Annes that once stood across Center Street and it makes one wonder what other architectural styles, now lost, were once represented on the east side of the street.
The Riegg House, which had been the last remaining house in the Gateway District, was relocated to Lander Street on August 30, 2020.