Orvis Ring School (site)

Orvis Ring Grammar School, in Reno’s northeast quadrant, was the second in the quartet of Mission-style schools built between 1909 and 1912. Orvis Ring opened for students in the spring semester of 1910. The school was located on Evans Avenue between Seventh and Eighth Streets, across from the home of B. D. Billinghurst, the superintendent of Reno schools. When Billinghurst started his job in 1908, he faced a school district with over-crowded and outdated schools. One of his first tasks was to secure funding through a series of school bonds totaling $850,000 to build new schools. With these funds, the school district built four Mission-style grade schools, known as the Four Spanish Sisters, and a new high school.

Superintendent Billinghurst recommended the Mission-style schools, and the outstanding features they offered brought Reno national recognition for material equipment of its schools. The features included: 1) one-story buildings for ease of evacuation in case of fire or earthquake; 2) domestic science and manual training equipped classrooms—a distinct innovation in school concepts; 3) spacious and attractive auditoriums capable of seating up to 500 people and offering stage, drop curtains, two types of stage scenery, foot and border lights, dressing rooms and lavatories; and serving a dual role in school and community use; and 4) a thermostatically-controlled ventilating and heating system that supplied each student with 30 cubic feet of fresh air each minute and changed the air in each classroom eight times per hour.

Orvis Ring School was dedicated in October 1910 and named in memory of the late Orvis Ring, an early Nevada educator and former Superintendent of Public Instruction, who was known for his inspirational guidance of students. The school quickly became an important institution in the community with an active P.T.A. and proud student body.

By the early 1970s, Reno was once again faced with an expanding population and aging schools. All four of the Spanish Quartet had come under threat of demolition, and in 1974, Mary S. Doten was the first to come down. Mount Rose School was retained, while McKinley Park was sold to the City of Reno. Orvis Ring School was kept open through 1975, but the cost to renovate it was deemed too high. The school was ultimately demolished and replaced with a low-income senior apartment complex in 1986. In recognition of the school, the apartment complex was named Orvis Ring Senior Apartments.

Images

Orvis Ring School, 1911

Orvis Ring School, 1911

The community came together to landscape the new Orvis Ring School in 1911. Image courtesy of University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno View File Details Page

Orvis Ring, 1881

Orvis Ring, 1881

The school's namesake, the late Superintendent of Schools Orvis Ring, pictured here in 1881, was an inspirational figure in early Reno. Photo by E.P. Butler. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

Orvis Ring Elementary School

Orvis Ring Elementary School

Orvis Ring Elementary School enjoyed a close relationship to the University of Nevada, due to its proximity. Education students often did their student teaching at the school. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

First graders, ca. 1918

First graders, ca. 1918

Teacher Mila Coffin poses with her first grade class at Orvis Ring School, 1918 or 1919. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

Pre-demolition

Pre-demolition

Orvis Ring School in 1975, after its closure and before its demolition. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

No trespassing

No trespassing

A sign on the soon-to-be-demolished Orvis Ring School read 'Property City of Reno, No Trespassing.' Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

Audio

Ethnic diversity in Orvis Ring school

Interviewed in 2012 by Emerson Marcus, Dick Belaustegui recalls the ethnic diversity of his childhood neighborhood and the many ethnic groups that attended Orvis Ring Elementary School together. | Creator: University of Nevada Oral History Program View File Details Page

Street Address:

720 Evans Avenue, Reno, NV [map]

Cite this Page:

Mella Harmon, “Orvis Ring School (site),” Reno Historical, accessed May 24, 2017, http://renohistorical.org/items/show/28.

Subjects

Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story