20th Century Club

Erected in 1925 by Roush and Belz to serve as the first women's club in Reno, the 20th Century Club was part of a national movement organized in 1894. The club was open to all women of good repute, and of course the most prominent women of the community were members. Prior to 1930, the club was involved in many causes, ranging from passing laws prohibiting spitting on sidewalks to education and social issues. It also served as a forum for discussion groups dealing with current events, the arts, literature, and more. Membership in the 20th Century Club peaked at 1,000 in its heyday.

Located at 335 W. First Street, the club was also utilized by the entire community as a rental space for parties, wedding and other functions. During World War II, it was rented to the USO. Enough money was generated by these rentals for the Club to hire a housekeeper and caterer to live on the premises.

Fred M. Schadler, a prominent Reno architect, designed the building. His design for the club was drawn from the Prairie School, which utilized strong horizontal lines, with the addition of Classical elements, such as tall and prominent arched windows. The front entrance was reconfigured at some point, and an entrance ramp and door were added to the center of the front facade. Today, the one-story building, situated on the western limits of the downtown core near the Truckee River, is the smallest structure in its vicinity, with the grounds of St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral to the east.

Images

Previous clubhouse

Previous clubhouse

The first clubhouse for the Twentieth Century club, built in 1906 on the corner of Arlington and First streets, now the site of a parking lot for St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

20th Century Club, original entrance

20th Century Club, original entrance

The second and final clubhouse, built in 1925, featured a small entrance on the east side of its front facade. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

A dedication event, 1927

A dedication event, 1927

Guests at the dedication of California Building and Nevada State Building, March 12,1927. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Libraries View File Details Page

Pioneer guests

Pioneer guests

The 20th Century Club hosted a group of pioneer women of Nevada in its clubhouse. Guests included Mrs. K. Smith; Mrs. M. Sproule; Mrs. Anna Boerland; Mrs. J. Beemer; Mrs. A. D. Williams; Mrs. H. H. Hogan; Mrs. May Gill; Mrs. Margaret Counihan; Mrs. M. Mudd; Mrs. L. Steiner; Mrs. A. Frandsen; Mrs. Elizabeth Murphy; Mrs. Susan Durley; Mrs. M. J. Robbins; Mrs. Van Billiard; Mrs. Fannie Hazlett and Mrs. George W. Mapes, Sr. Image courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries View File Details Page

20th Century Club, 1982

20th Century Club, 1982

The clubhouse is pictured upon its nomination to the National Register in 1982. The front entrance ramp and door are not original to the structure. Image courtesy of National Register of Historic Places View File Details Page

History preserved, 2005

History preserved, 2005

The building's exterior has changed very little in the past few decades. Photo by Max Chapman View File Details Page

Private offices, 2014

Private offices, 2014

Although surrounded by taller and more modern structures, the 20th Century Club building still occupies a prominent location near the river. Photo by Alicia Barber View File Details Page

Street Address:

335 West 1st Street, Reno, NV [map]

Cite this Page:

“20th Century Club,” Reno Historical, accessed May 30, 2017, http://renohistorical.org/items/show/41.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story