Union Iron Works opened at 555 E. 4th Street in 1935, helmed by seasoned blacksmith Ed Casinella, who had worked for years in the shop of Andrew and John Ginocchio (founders of Reno Iron Works). Casinella specialized in ornamental iron work for many houses around town.
In 1941, Casinella and his partners sold the business and the building to Richard “Dick” Wagner, who had bought the property next door (559 E. 4th Street) two years earlier for his Wagner Tank and Manufacturing Company. Connecting the two buildings on the inside gave Wagner the capacity to take on even larger steel fabricating and blacksmith work, including negotiating for lucrative defense contracts. Ed Casinella stayed on board as foreman and general manager.
Soon the company was reportedly the largest of its kind in the state. Business was so good that Wagner needed more room, and in 1944, he moved his operations across the street to the current site of Martin Iron Works. The old Union Iron Works building then became Hasco Heating and Air Conditioning Supply. Owned by Clyde Mast, Hasco sold everything from electric heating to televisions, and remained there for decades. As the block shifted away from industrial uses, the building became a series of nightclubs including Club Underground and, most recently, Bodega.