Modern Movement

Some of Reno’s most striking and glamorous architecture is found in buildings of the Modern Era. The Modern Movement (MoMo), broadly defined as spanning from the 1930s through the 1970s, is associated with styles including Art Deco, Art and Streamline Moderne, Mid-Century Modern, International, Googie, New Formalism, and Brutalism. Although vastly varied, they share a number of common traits: an emphasis on the functional, a lack of clear references to historical precedents, and an awareness of modernity. Modern buildings incorporated new technologies and materials, among them concrete, aluminum, asbestos, and air conditioning.

The Modern Era was a time of great change in Reno. The city’s population doubled in size between 1930 and 1960. Liberal divorce and gambling laws brought new visitors and residents to town. After a slowdown in growth and rationing of gas and construction materials during the Second World War, Reno experienced a sharp uptick in tourism, new construction, and residential population. Like other Western cities, it also witnessed the emergence of a fresh, modern aesthetic in architectural design.

Some of these new buildings were Reno’s first high rises. Interest in high-rise living, especially among single professionals, spurred the construction of downtown residential skyscrapers including Park Tower and Arlington Tower. New casinos and commercial buildings, including the First National Bank of Nevada tower (now Reno City Hall), also reached new heights.
The Modern Era represented a golden age of travel and tourism in the United States, and Reno’s profile as a destination rose as hotels and casinos—including Harolds Club, Harrah’s, and the Primadonna—expanded their footprints along with their entertainment and dining options. Local businesses sought to attract the eye of automobile tourists traveling along U.S. 40 and later, Interstate 80, with striking roadside architecture in the form of vibrant neon signs, Googie-style diners, and themed motels.

North of downtown, the University of Nevada, Reno campus embarked on a major building campaign in the 1960s, resulting in the construction of the Fleischmann Planetarium, Getchell Library, Church Fine Arts Building, and Jot Travis Student Union, among others. These buildings experimented with new forms and technologies, representing the cutting edge of architecture in Reno.

Many renowned architects contributed to Reno’s mid-twentieth century MoMo landscape. Locally, they included Raymond Hellmann, Monk Ferris, Graham Erskine, David Vhay, Russell Mills, Edward Parsons, Ralph Casazza, E. Keith Lockard, Frederic DeLongchamps, George O’Brien, Hewitt Wells, and Frank Green. Architects from other parts of the country—namely Los Angeles—who designed modern buildings in Reno included Armet and Davis, Robert Langdon, and Richard Neutra. The Oklahoma City firm Bozalis, Dickinson & Roloff, which specialized in geodesic domes, designed Reno’s Pioneer Theater.

Much of Reno’s Modern Movement architecture is currently under threat. Iconic buildings that have fallen to the bulldozer include Getchell Library, Union Savings and Loan, the Greyhound Bus Station, and dozens of motels. Many mid-century buildings have fallen out of favor with developers, who have deemed the structures shabby, run-down, or too expensive to rehabilitate—just as other cities across the country are reviving their MoMo architecture into jubilant cultural landmarks that drive economic development. Perhaps our community can regain its appreciation of these buildings, leveraging our shared architectural heritage to create vibrant, revitalized communities.

Fleischmann Planetarium

The Fleischmann Atmospherium-Planetarium, later called the Fleischmann Planetarium and Science Center, was built in 1963. It was the first atmospherium-planetarium of its kind in the world, with the ability to simulate both day and night conditions…

Church Fine Arts Building

The J. E. Church Fine Arts Building, designed by world-famous modernist architect Richard Neutra, first opened in the fall of 1960. It was constructed to unite the departments of Speech Communications and Theater, Art, and Music under one modern…

Silas E. Ross Hall

Silas E. Ross Hall opened in June 1957, kicking off a campus construction boom that included the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture Building, the Sarah Hamilton Fleischmann School of Home Economics, the Jot Travis Student Union Building, and…

El Rancho Motel No. 2

The 80-unit El Rancho Motel No. 2 was opened in 1954 by Pete Cladianos, Sr. on the former site of the Nevada Packing Company, which had ceased operations in 1947, and burned down in 1950. Its demise opened up a prime location for a motel on the…

Reno High School

As soon as World War II ended and building materials became more plentiful again, it became clear that Reno’s schools were in need of updating and certainly expansion. In 1945, the Reno School District had originally planned to remodel the existing…

C. Clifton Young Federal Building and Courthouse

The C. Clifton Young Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse at 300 Booth Street opened in 1965 across the street from Reno High School. The building typifies the federal effort to incorporate modern design into the government buildings that were being…

First National Bank Tower

Los Angeles architect Robert Langdon designed the First National Bank of Nevada’s landmark high-rise office building on the corner of First and N. Virginia Streets. At 16 stories, the building was the tallest in Reno when it opened in 1963. The…

Pioneer Theater-Auditorium

When the Pioneer Theater-Auditorium was completed in December 1967, it was going to be named the Apollo Theater. Instead, the golden-domed building came to be called the Pioneer Theater-Auditorium after the statue of a pioneer family that stands in…

Washoe County Library

After the demolition of the Carnegie Free Public Library, the Reno branch of the Washoe County Library was housed in the Nevada State Building, which by the mid-1960s, was slated for demolition to make room for the Pioneer Theater and Auditorium. The…

Reno City Hall (former)

As 1960 approached, the city of Reno was reckoning with its rapid growth and the accompanying need for a new city government facility. Since 1907, Reno’s City Hall had stood on the southwest corner of Center and First (originally known as Front)…

777 Motel

South Virginia Street was an increasingly busy thoroughfare in mid-century Reno, with many motels cropping up to serve the traveling public. The 777 Motel was constructed at 777 S. Virginia Street in 1964, one year before the street was widened to…