Filed Under Education

Thompson Building

At first the home to teacher training, this 1920 building was pivotal to the growth of the College of Education.

The Thompson Building was built in 1920 to house the University's teacher training program. A two-story, brick building with a classically-inspired facade, this Georgian-style building was designed by Reno architect Frederic DeLongchamps following the stylistic guidelines of Mackay's campus plan, with input from the new dean of education and a consulting specialist in school architecture. In 1959, the building was named to honor Dr. Reuben C. Thompson, a well-known lecturer who taught at the University from 1908 to 1948 and founded the Department of Philosophy.

The Thompson Building has played a key role in the education of Nevada's educators. The construction of the building in 1919-20 coincided with the establishment of a College of Education at the University, with its own dean, its own building, and a status equal to that of the other colleges on campus. The training of teachers had previously been handled by county normal schools throughout the state, as well as various colleges at the University.

When the Secretary of the Interior's Bureau of Education had reviewed university education in Nevada, one of the few criticisms made was of the dispersed system of teacher education. Growth in state population and the consequent need for more high schools and more teachers made it obvious that the system was inadequate. Faced with the federal report, the University, the Board of Regents, and the legislature made the move to rectify the situation. The new building was funded and a dean hired to begin the new department. The Thompson Building housed the College of Education from its completion in 1920 until a newer, larger facility replaced it in 1969. Since that time, it has housed various student services offices.

Audio

Memories of the Thompson Building's theater Interviewed in 2015, professor emeritus of History and UNR alumnus Dr. James Hulse shares his memories of the Thompson Building. Creator: Alicia Barber Date: 2015

Images

Early days
Early days Thompson Education Building, with a car and horse in front of building, ca. 1920. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Date: ca. 1920
Construction
Construction The Education Building later called the Thompson Building, under construction, ca. 1920. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Date: ca. 1920
Education Building
Education Building The Thompson Building in 1921 when it was known as the Education Building. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Creator: Samuel B. Doten Date: 1921
Backdrop to football
Backdrop to football Students play informal football behind the Thompson Building in the late 1960s. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Date: 1960s
View from the library
View from the library The Thompson Building in 1970 in a view from the front steps of the Getchell Library. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Date: 1970
A gathering place
A gathering place In 2006, students gather at tables in the paved public area between the Thompson Building and the Getchell Library. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Creator: Sara Brown Date: 2006
Aerial view
Aerial view A 2008 overhead view of the Thompson Building from atop the Getchell Library. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Creator: Theresa Danna-Douglas Date: 2008
Thompson pillars
Thompson pillars "Thompson" carved in the frieze at the front entrance of the building. Like many of the classic buildings on the university quad, the Thompson Building has Ionic pillars at the entrance. Source: University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries Creator: Theresa Danna-Douglas

Location

Metadata

Amanda Buell and Reno Historical Team, “Thompson Building,” Reno Historical, accessed June 14, 2024, https://renohistorical.org/items/show/78.