Like many of the brick commercial buildings along South Virginia Street, this one started as a family grocery. There were already several in the neighborhood in 1927, when Frank Greene had this one-story store constructed in front of the older wood-frame house where he and his wife, Mamie, had lived for many years. A longtime grocer originally from Indiana, Greene had leased market space in a number of downtown buildings through the years. Now approaching 60 years old, he surely was proud of finally having financed his very own.
The street was tree-lined and residential at the time. But Reno was growing southward rapidly, and soon the growing popularity of the automobile would draw increased business to the thoroughfare. A fire station designed by Frederic DeLongchamps to resemble a bungalow had been erected on the lot just to the south in 1917. To the north, on the other side of a small house, the Q-ne-Q root beer and ice cream stand opened on the corner of Stewart Street at around the same time as Greene’s grocery.
Frank Greene died in 1932 and Mamie ran the market alone until her own death six years later. After that, the building was divided into three small storefronts, which housed a variety of businesses in the decades to come. In the 1940s alone, these included a candy store, a piano and organ dealer, a barber shop, a physician, and an insurance office. In later years, tenants included Friden’s business machines, a laundry service, and a bar called The Depot.
The storefronts were combined again in the late 1980s to serve as the offices for Walt Collins’ various restaurant businesses. Jack Bacon bought the property in 1998 and for the next fifteen years, operated Jack Bacon & Company, specializing in custom book publishing, framing, and autographs. After Bacon moved his business online, the building was purchased and remodeled, reopening in 2015 as a restaurant called Fin & Filet.